Care Notes – First Aid Essentials
Basic First Aid Equipment
I always keep a variety of treatments in my first aid cupboard.
- A selection of bandages, cohesive, soffban and vet wrap, Melolin to cover wounds if necessary.
- A pair of curved ended scissors (“blunt blunt”)
- A pair of sharp ended scissors (“sharp/blunt”)
- Tweezers – specifically for ticks
- Forceps for removing foreign bodies (therefore need to be clean – and not used on ticks!)
- Caustic stick – if you cut your dogs claws, use this if you accidentally cut your dogs claws too short.
- Iodine – dilute when using!
- Hibiscrub – dilute when using!
- Hydrogen peroxide can be used in certain cases to clean a wound. DILUTE the hydrogen peroxide FIRST! (50:50 hydrogen peroxide and water in equal measures)
- a couple of 10ml syringes, useful to aid with syringe feeding or squirting hibiscrub solution at a wound.
- Aloe Vera Gel (for cuts and minor rashes)
- Arnica Homeopathy (to help encourage healing – ideal after surgery or with wounds).
- Echinacea capsules – to promote dogs own immunity.
- Green Lipped Mussel Tablets – an anti-inflammatory/pain relief.
- Omega 3 – is great for healing wounds.
- Honey – Natures antibiotic! Energy boost and helps boost immue system.
- Nutri plus gel – great for dogs after an episode of illness.
- Natural Yoghurt is great for helping treat diarrhoea.
- Kaolin (childrens) for diarrhoea (I would only use kaolin for two days maximum 1ml per kilo bodyweight per 24hrs.)
- Oral rehydration powders
- TEP powder for ear problems.