Deoxidiser Sachet
A hazard
 in the home which could get overlooked.

The sachets of deoxidiser – which are used to absorb moisture in packaged items such as handbags, and shoes but also in dried food packaging too. These small packets need disposing off to prevent the risk of your pet ingesting them (or child!)

The sachets can contain either silica gel (Clean silica is nontoxic to humans and dogs), charcoal or iron.

The risk of ingesting a deoxidiser is more so with the sachet which contains iron, as there is a risk of iron toxicity, this can cause gastroenteritis and progress to  liver failure.

You must seek veterinary help promptly (for any of the types of deoxidiser sachets).

It is important to take the packaging with you so that the vet is able to identify the exact type of poison and therefore treat accordingly.

At Pet Poison Helpline, the most severe cases of iron poisoning from oxygen absorbers have occurred in small dogs (<15 pounds). Unless a large dog ingested several oxygen absorbers or ingested unusually large ones, poisoning is much less likely.

The risk with Iron is that it can be toxic to animals if ingested in high quantities. Therefore the quan
tity ingested and the size of dog is relative to how serious the situation is. The level of toxicity can also be dependent on the level of iron already in the system, The Vet will need to do a blood test to monitor the level at the outset.

Sources of iron

      • Iron tablets and multivitamins containing iron.

      • Some moss killers contain ferrous sulfate.

      • Slugpelletscontain ferric phosphate, generally 1% for domestic products and 3% for professional products.

      • Oxygen absorbers or deoxidizer sachets used as preservatives in dried foods.

      • Hand warmers and heat patches (for pain relief).

Soluble forms of Iron are the most toxic. Insoluble forms, such as metallic iron or iron oxide (rust), are not considered toxic.
Iron oxide and hydroxides (E172) are also used in some foods and medicines as a colorant.

Calculate the amount of elemental iron ingested to determine if the pet ingested a toxic amount of iron, based upon soluble iron.

Mild to moderate iron toxicity when20-60 mg/kg of elemental iron is ingested.
Severe toxicity
when60 mg/kg elemental iron is ingested.
Very Severe – if over 100 mg/kg elemental iron is ingested,considered fatal unlessprompt action is taken.


(All cases of ingestion of iron tablets should be assessed urgently.)

You must seek veterinary help promptly (for any of the types of deoxidiser sachets).

Any advice contained within this article is not to replace that of the vets.

Comments are closed.